"Light Up Your Holiday" Christmas Light Contest
The Seat Pleasant "Light Up Your Holiday" Christmas Light Contest is presented by At-Large City Council-member Shireka McCarthy.
For nearly a century, decorating our homes with Christmas lights and decorations has been an American tradition.What began in the 1920’s with the first residential light show eventually expanded to become a hallmark of suburban life over the next fifty years Christmas.But it wasn’t until the 70’s that America took its newfound Christmas lighting fascination to the next level. Suburbia was set ablaze with Christmas spirit and, in true American fashion, community Christmas lighting competitions began all around the country (and have continued to the present day).
For the City of Seat Pleasant, the "Light Up Your Holiday" Christmas Light Contest allows City residents to allow their creativity to come to life and get into the holiday spirit. It is a time for residents to take a sense of pride for their community and engage with each other as well as their Council-members.
Contest Rules and Instructions:
Application Period: Now through December 15, 2017 5:00pm
Judging Period: December 16, 2017-December 22, 2017
Winners Announced: December 23, 2017 7:00pm
Please read these rules and instructions and if you have any questions contact City Hall at 301-336-2600.
1. Participation is open to all residents and businesses in Seat Pleasant.
2. Entry is free. Each participant must complete and return the contest entry form by December 15, 2017 5pm. (close of business)
3. Judging will be based on “curb appeal” as viewed from the street only. Therefore only those decorations located on the street side of the property will be judged (corner lots will be judged from both streets). This includes decorations in windows that are visible from the exterior.
4. Judging criteria will include a score of 1-4 in each category. Categories include: [a] Unique design and creative use of lights and decorations; [b] Story-line or theme; [c] Display and placement of decorations, animated objects, etc.; and [d] Overall presentation.
5. Judging will be done from 7:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. December 16, 2017-December 22, 2017. Participants should ensure that all lights, animations and decorations are in place and activated for the judging period.
6. Two prizes will be awarded: One 1st place prize of $100 and One 2nd place prize of $50. Each winner will be photographed and featured in the newsletter. Prizes will be delivered to winners December 23, 2017 at 7:00pm.