GENERAL STATEMENTS OF DUTIES
Responsible for the development, coordination and organization of all city-related events and programs.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS
An employee in this classification coordinates and supervises the scheduling of all city-related events and programs. The incumbent will plan meetings and events, develop agendas, document meetings as it relates to events and programs, assist with data collection, and produce new documents as deemed necessary. A high degree of human relations, organizational skills and business management capabilities are required. The Events & Programs Coordinator will work under the direction of the Public Engagement Director, but may be assigned duties in other participating departments as needed.
Planning, organizing, and coordinating all city-related events and programs.
EXAMPLES OF WORK
- Plan and coordinate all City programs, events, and conferences.
- Evaluates and selects providers of services according to customer requirements.
- Negotiates contracts with service providers and suppliers, such as hotels, convention centers, and speakers.
- Monitors event activities to ensure compliance with applicable regulations and laws, satisfaction of participants, and resolution of any problems that arise.
- Inspects event facilities to ensure that they conform to City requirements
- Confers with staff at event site to coordinate briefing details
- Coordinates services for events, such as accommodations and transportation for participants, facilities, catering, signage, displays, special needs requirements, printing and event security.
- Consults with customers to determine objectives and requirements for events such as meetings, conferences, and conventions.
- Meets with sponsors and organizing committees to plan scope and format of events, to establish and monitor budgets, or to review administrative procedures and event progress.
- Arranges the availability of audio-visual equipment, transportation, displays, and other event needs with the Department of Public Works and outside vendors.
- Plans and develops programs, agendas, budgets, and services according to customer requirements.
- Maintains records of events (Seat Pleasant Day, Maryland Municipal League Conference (MML), National League of City Conference (NLC), Trunk-or-Treat, etc.)
- Conducts post-event evaluations to determine how future events could be improved.
- All other duties as assigned by immediate supervisor
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
Proven experience as an events planner or organizer; Impressive portfolio of previously managed events (weddings, meetings, parties, corporate events); Excellent time management and communication skills; Sales skills and ability to build productive business relationships; Ability to manage multiple projects independently; MS Office proficiency.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Education: Bachelor’s degree
- At least 2-4 years of related experience in related areas; hotel management, hospitality management, community engagement etc.
- Sedentary work requiring the exertion of up to 20 pounds of force occasionally and a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to move objects.
- Work requires reaching, lifting, grasping, and repetitive motions.
- Vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word.
- Hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels.
- Visual acuity is required for preparing and analyzing written or computer data, operation of machines, determining the accuracy and thoroughness of work, and observing general surroundings and activities.
- The worker is not subject to adverse environmental conditions.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
An employee in this classification is subject to random drug and alcohol testing pursuant to the City of Seat Pleasant’s Drug-Free Workplace Policy, Drug & Alcohol Testing Procedures.