GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES
Performs professional and intermediate work in the coordination of marketing, branding, and communications as it relates to programs, events, and services offered by the Department of Public Engagement. Markets information to the public and media regarding departmental activities.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS
The Marketing and Communication Intern serves as the voice of the organization within the Public Engagement Department under the direct supervision of the Director of Public Engagement.
Planning, researching, creating, coordinating, marketing, advertising, promoting public engagement programs and events; preparing and maintaining appropriate records and files.
EXAMPLES OF WORK
- Communicates and works across City departments to optimize the written and visual content on the City’s website and newsletter and to maintain a successful image.
- Creates presentations, communicates and plan corporate communications materials, media releases, and provides event assistance.
- Maintains all marketing and promotional content through platforms such as all City social media, City website, newsletter, flyers, banners, brochures, etc.
- Facilitates vendor set-up as needed, helps to resolve any problems that occur.
- Records all data-driven content used to make facilitate decisions.
- Collects names, email addresses, physical addresses, and phone numbers for database development, social media content; handles inquiries from residents, vendors, surrounding communities, businesses, and government entities.
- Communicates and engages with residents in reference to common issues or concerns they may have to help further advance the objective of relaying information.
- Contributes to the success of live events, including programs, conferences, classes, and workshops, presentations, etc.
- Creates and controls market feedback and survey information to decipher citizen needs.
- Contributes to the development, implementation, and maintenance of the City branding content strategies by researching and writing posts, managing video shoots, and newsletters, and building a compelling narrative across multiple social media platforms, etc.
- Maintains and expands upon current relationships with residents, businesses, educators, investors, and government agencies.
- Performs other duties as apparent or assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
Comprehensive knowledge of municipal policies and procedures; enthusiastic advocate of local government; diplomatic conflict resolution; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, vendors, and citizens; ability to communicate complex ideas. Proficient with Social Media; exceptional written and verbal communication skills; highly motivated and able to multi-task; extremely organized and data-oriented; ability to manage multiple projects independently; MS Office proficiency. Photography experience a plus! MacBook experience a plus! Video editing skills a plus!
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Seeking to obtain a Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing, Communication, Public Administration or related field; and/or up to two (2) years of progressively knowledgeable and skilled experience with standard software applications in office assistance and administrative support work; or any combination of education, training, and experience.
- Energetic work requiring the exertion of up to 20 pounds of force occasionally and the negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to move objects.
- Sedentary work requiring the exertion of creative and innovative ideas and strategies that exemplify engagement, empowerment, and education through Smart City initiatives.
- Vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word.
- Hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels.
- Visual acuity is required for preparing and analyzing written or computer data, the operation of machines, determining the accuracy and thoroughness of work, and observing general surroundings and activities.
- The worker is subject to adverse environmental conditions.
- An employee in this classification is subject to random drug and alcohol testing pursuant to the City of Seat Pleasant’s Drug-Free Workplace Policy, Drug & Alcohol Testing Procedures.