Performs responsible unskilled and semi-skilled manual work in a variety of construction, repair and maintenance assignments; does related work as required.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS
An employee in this classification may use hand tools, power tools, and maintenance equipment, and may be called back to work for emergency situations or at any time. The work is performed under immediate supervision.
Assisting with maintenance and repair work; picking up trash; cleaning ditches; raking leaves; patching holes; mowing and trimming grass.
EXAMPLES OF WORK
- Loads and unloads gravel; dirt; chemicals; and other materials, tools, and equipment.
- Mows grass, trims trees, rakes leaves; picks up trash, leaves, and grass for recycling.
- Operates a variety of mowers, and equipment in grass cutting and trimming operation.
- Picks up paper and debris on public property and streets.
- Places and removed traffic barricades and cones.
- Installs and removes street signs
- Assists with the installation and removal of festive lights, decorations, and flags.
- Assists with parks and grounds preparation and maintenance.
- Acts as a flagger at construction sites.
- Performs various street maintenance duties such as cleaning gutters and patching holes.
- Plans, trims, sprays, edges, mulches, waters, and prunes trees and shrubs.
- Assists with snow and ice control
- Performs other duties as apparent or assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
Ability to understand and follow specific oral instructions; ability to perform heavy labor for extended periods, often unfavorable weather conditions; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships and associates..
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
High School graduation, High School Equivalency Diploma, or G.E.D. Certificate; supplemented by six (6) months of experience in related manual work; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Heavy work requiring the exertion of up to 100 pounds of force, occasionally, up to 50 pounds of force frequently, and up to 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- Work required climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, and feeling.
- Vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word.
- Hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels.
- Visual acuity is required for visual inspection involving small defects and/or small parts, use of measuring devices, assembly or fabrication of parts at or within arm’s length, the operation of machines, the operation of motor vehicles or equipment, and observing general surroundings and activities.
- The worker is subject to inside and outside environmental conditions, extreme cold, extreme heat, noise, vibration, hazards, atmospheric conditions, and oils.
- Possession of an appropriate driver’s license valid in the State of Maryland.
- An employee in this classification is subject to random drug and alcohol testing pursuant to the City of Seat Pleasant’s Drug-Free Workplace Policy, Drug & Alcohol Testing Procedures.