Administrative Assistant to the Public Engagement Department
City of Seat Pleasant – Capitol Heights, MD
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES
Performs professional and intermediate administrative work in the coordination and management of the City’s human services and community outreach programs and services. Performs professional and intermediate work in the coordination and management of the City’s Farmers Market; does related work as required.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS
Provides administrative support to the Public Engagement Department under the direct supervision of the Public Engagement Director.
Planning, coordinating, managing, and implementing human services and community outreach programs and the City’s Farmers Market; publicizing human services efforts and programs; preparing and maintaining appropriate records and files.
EXAMPLES OF WORK
- Maintains communications with citizens, community and religious organizations, and government agencies involved with human services.
- Coordinate, design, produce the City’s monthly newsletter
- Creates and operates human services programs to meet citizen needs.
- Participates in City events to promote human services programs.
- Setup and coordinate meetings and conferences for the department.
- Enters various data/information into database(s) related to department functions or activities; updates database(s) as needed.
- Prepares a wide variety of correspondence and reports, drafts memos/letters/emails for the department.
- Research and prepare monthly City newsletter
- Generates purchase orders, to include: preparing requisitions and invoices; requesting forms for vendors; coordinating orders; receiving and reconciling shipments with purchase orders; ordering and maintaining supplies; maintaining vendor files; coordinating equipment maintenance and repairs; and copying, sorting and/or filing information.
- Maintains the inventory of department supplies.
- Oversees all aspects for the running of the market (individual tasks may be performed by volunteers) including:
- Prepare market site;
- Facilitate vendor set-up as needed, help to resolve any problems that arise;
- Each hour of operation, perform a reasonable count of market customers and record in a comprehensive log; and
- At end of operations, remove barricades from the street, remove trash and litter, and take care of other tasks necessary to return the market site to its normal operations.
- Collect gross sales reports from vendors.
- Communicate with each vendor in reference to product availability prior to the scheduled market day.
- Communicate with City departments (public works and police departments) necessary to manufacture a successful market.
- Submit a weekly report for Council and City Administrator about market operations: customer counts, gross sales, complaints, etc.
- Participate in end-of-season market evaluation and goal setting for next season.
- Creates and controls market feedback cards to meet citizen needs.
- Attends meetings as requested for the department.
- Performs other duties as apparent or assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
Comprehensive knowledge of the principles and practices of citizen services and community and social service agencies; thorough knowledge of human relations and counseling; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, subordinates, and citizens; comprehensive knowledge of county market policies and procedures; enthusiastic advocate of local farming and local farm products; diplomatic conflict resolution; ability to communicate complex ideas.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s Degree in Human Services, Social Services, Psychology, or related field; supplemented by two (2) years of progressively knowledgeable and skilled experience in the operation of a personal computer with standard software applications and in-office assistance and administrative support work; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Sedentary work requiring the exertion of up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to move objects.
- Work requires climbing, stooping, reaching, fingering, grasping, and repetitive motions.
- Vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word.
- Hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels.
- Visual acuity is required for preparing and analyzing written or computer data, operation of machines, determining the accuracy and thoroughness of work, and observing general surroundings and activities.
- The worker is not subject to adverse environmental conditions.
- Possession of an appropriate driver’s license valid in the DMV jurisdiction. Employees are subject to random drug testing and alcohol testing pursuant to the City of Seat Pleasant’s Drug-Free Workplace Policy, Drug & Alcohol Testing Procedures.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $40,000.00 to $45,000.00 /year
- Customer Service: 1 year (Preferred)
- Administrative Assistant: 1 year (Preferred)
- Bachelor’s (Preferred)
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
- Work from home
- Flexible schedule
- Parental leave
- Professional development assistance
- Tuition reimbursement
Typical start time:
- 9 AM
Typical end time:
- 5 PM
This Job Is:
- A job for which military-experienced candidates are encouraged to apply
- A “Fair Chance” job (you or the employer follow Fair Chance hiring practices when performing background checks)
- Monday to Friday
- Weekends required
- 8-hour shift
Company’s Facebook page:
- A waiting period may apply
- Temporarily due to COVID-19