The Seat Pleasant Environmental Justice Department Waste Management Division provides curbside recycling collection for the City of Seat Pleasant residents and citizens. Recycling is your opportunity to keep Seat Pleasant a clean and healthy place to live. It is easy, saves energy and is good for the environment. By placing your recycling bin at the curb once a week on Tuesdays, you can help reduce the amount of trash that is disposed of at the landfill.
Green Recycling Bins can be obtained from the Environmental Justice Department. Call City Hall for details, (301) 336-2600.
- Food and beverage containers
- Empty aerosol cans
- Aluminum, bimetal, ferrous, and steel containers
- Aluminum foil
- Coat Hangers
Mixed paper/corrugated cardboard:
- All paper
- Aseptic/gable-top milk and juice cartons
- Corrugated cardboard (boxes)
- Frozen Food Packaging
- Paper bags and wrapping paper
- Newspapers with inserts
- Paperboard (cereal boxes)
- Telephone Books
- Bagged grocery bags, shrink wrap, and stretch-film (Insert all bags within one bag; no loose single bags)
- Drinking cups/glasses
- Flower pots
- Narrow-neck containers with code identification numbers 1 through 7
- Wide-mouth containers such as peanut butter, yogurt, cottage cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise and whipped topping; margarine/butter tubs; and
- Prescription bottles
- Coat hangers
*Remember to rinse all food and beverage containers and to recap or place the lids in the recycling cart/bin
The City of Seat Pleasant Environmental Justice Department has the responsibility for ensuring the safety and maintaining the condition of all public streets, alleys, and rights of ways.
- Pothole patching
- Asphalt paving
- Street cleaning
- Snow and ice removal from streets
- Leaf collection
- Stormwater drainage
- Facility maintenance
- Street construction projects
Who Maintains My Street?
The streets in Seat Pleasant are under the control of the City of Seat Pleasant, Prince George’s County, or the Maryland State Highway Administration. Additionally, some roads are privately owned and maintained by shopping centers, businesses, or apartments.
The following lists the major roads that are not maintained by the City of Seat Pleasant. If you have a question concerning which entity has jurisdiction over a street within the City of Seat Pleasant, please contact the Department of Public Works at (301) 336-2600.
Roads Maintained by Prince Georges County The following roads are under the jurisdiction of, and maintained by, Prince George’s County:
- Addison Road
- Seat Pleasant Drive
All problems on these streets, or within the right of way, must be reported to the Prince George’s County Department of Public Works and Transportation (PGC-DPW&T) online or at (301) 499-8520.
Roads Maintained by the State Highway Administration The following highways are under the jurisdiction of, and maintained by, the State of Maryland:
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Highway (MD 704)
- Central Avenue (Route 214)
All problems on these roadways, or within the right of way, must be reported to the State Highway Administration District 3 at (301) 513-7308.
Weekly (Wednesday) curbside collection of yard waste is offered year-round by the Seat Pleasant Waste Management Division. Yard waste includes grass clippings, leaves, small branches, brush and Christmas trees.
Yard waste must be placed in securely tied, heavy-duty biodegradable paper bags. Cardboard boxes are not acceptable containers.
Limbs must not exceed four (4) feet in length and three (3) inches in diameter and must be securely tied in bundles. Bundles of limbs and bags of dry grass and leaves must weigh less than 60 pounds. Wet grass and leaves must weigh less than 25 pounds.
Trash collection in the City of Seat Pleasant is handled by the City of Seat Pleasant Waste Management Division. Residents should place their refuse containers at the front curb before 6:30 a.m on Monday and Thursday. Refuse will be collected between the hours of 6:30 a.m. and 3 p.m.
The Waste Management Division will empty containers and return them to your curbside. The homeowner is responsible for storing and cleaning the containers. The City of Seat Pleasant will not be responsible for items not intended for collection that are placed next to refuse containers.
When placing out to be picked up please:
- Please put the required covered trash containers between the curb and sidewalk, or by the street, after dark the night before or prior to 6:30 a.m. on the correct collection day
- Please ensure that the cover of the trash container is tightly closed
- Please ensure that the trash containers are accessible so that nothing will hinder or impede trash collection by Waste Management employees
- Garbage: food wastes accumulated in normal household use
- Trash: some plastics and ashes
Refuse collection services will not be provided on the following holidays:
- New Year’s Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Black Friday
- Christmas Day
The collection will resume on the next regularly scheduled collection day unless mentioned otherwise by the City of Seat Pleasant.